Saturday, December 31, 2011

Homemade Laundry Detergent

INGREDIENTS:


1 bar of Fels Naptha Laundry Bar Soap
Arm & Hammer Washing Soda
Borax
A Clean Bucket


DIRECTIONS:
1/3 bar of Fels Naptha, grated
Put in pot with 6 cups water
Heat on low until soap melts
Do not boil!!!
Add 1/2 cup Borax & 1/2 cup Washing Soda
Stir until mixture is as thick as honey
Remove from heat
Add 4 cups hot tap water to bucket. Add soap mixture to bucket & stir
Add 1 gallon hot tap water plus 6 cups & stir
Let sit overnight
Blend and pour into containers


I doubled the recipe and ended up with a little over 4 gallons of detergent.  My store bought detergent was 1.25 gallons for $7.  I spent about $10 on the ingredients to make this and still have PLENTY left to make more!!!



2 comments:

  1. I have a recipe like this but mine was for the powdered version and it uses a lot more of all of the ingredients. Does this really clean or have you used it very much yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenifer! I have used it for a couple of weeks and haven't had a problem with it so far. After I posted this recipe, I ran across another that I want to try just because it is less work. It sounds somewhat like the powdered version you're talking about. Here is the link if you want to look at it. http://www.celebratingmotherhoodeveryday.com/2012/01/homemade-laundry-detergent.html

    How do you like the powder version?

    ReplyDelete